Discipleship in Ministries: Jesus’ Parable of the Talents
A talent was equal to 6000 drachma or denarii which was a day’s wage. It would thus be a lifetime of earnings. As Jesus describes these three servants and their response to their talents, the talent would then be “The Gospel & Ministry with the Gospel, that is God’s Commitment of the Word and Ministry of Reconciliation to believers:
- Gospel itself – 2 Cor. 5:21 & 18a – JC paid for our sins & reconciled us to God.
- Our ministry with it – 2 Cor.5:18-20 – as ambassadors, we have the word (v.19b – message) and the ministry(v.18b) of reconciliation.
In Mat. 25:16 the 5-Talent servant doubled in faith his ministry with the Gospel. In Mat. 25:17 the 2-Talent Person doubled in faith his ministry with the Gospel. In Mat. 25:18 the 1-Talent Person did not even apply the minimum of simply believing the Gospel.
The 5-Talent Ministry: The believer with a very fruitful faith and ministry of the Gospel by making and developing many disciples & eventually presenting them before the Lord Jesus Christ at the Judgment Seat of Christ. (25:20-21). The 2-Talent Ministry: The believer with a rather modest, moderate faith and ministry of the Gospel (25:22-23).
The 1-Talent Ministry: The unbeliever with no faith and no ministry, who might have at least just believed, as the minimum for eternal life (25:24-30).
An unbeliever who had heard the gospel, even perhaps joining a local church, but had said “No” to the Gospel and any related ministry.
As in 1 Cor. 3:15, he could have been “saved but singed.”
After death at the judgment, there will be no opportunity of a second chance for eternal life.
The expression, “weeping and gnashing of teeth,” is found in describing the Gehenna to which unbelievers will be consigned, as in:
- Mat.13:42 – the tare/darnel cast into the furnace of fire
- Mat.13:50 – the foul fish cast into the furnace of fire
- Mat. 22:13 – the improperly attired man at the wedding cast into outer darkness
- Mat. 24:51 – the dismembered, wicked servant assigned among the hypocrites
- Luke 13:28 – rejected, unbelieving workers of unrighteousness.